There are 3 main types of rainfall, these are: relief, frontal and convectional.
- Relief rainfall occurs when air has been blown over the sea and is then forced up over an area of high land.
- This causes the air to cool and the moisture in the air condenses and rain falls.
- Frontal rainfall occurs when warm air is forced to rise over cold air.
- The moisture in the warm air condenses as it cools which causes clouds and rain.
- Occurs mostly in tropics where it is hot.
- When air is hot is rises and cools and condenses forming rain.
- If the air is hot enough, it rises very quickly and can cause thunderstorms.