LEDC - Egypt. Earthquake on 12th October 1992.
- Measured 5.9 on Ricter scale.
- There were 552 deaths and 10,000 injuries.
- A rapidly growing country with overcrowding - inadequate shanty housing.
- No proper infrastructure makes it difficult for emergency services.
- No money for hospitals and no proper health care.
MEDC - USA. Earthquake in October 1989.
- Measured 6.9 on Ricter scale (more violent than Egypt yet less deaths).
- 150 deaths mainly due a highway collapsing.
- Most of the city was undamaged because they were prepared.
- Only a few buildngs collapsed (had been strengthened).