The example we have used is Jamiaca.
The climate of Jamaica is very good with a maximum of 27°C. The temperature only changes from 25°C - 27°C which gives a steady, warm, reliable climate. Nearly 1 million visitors visit Jamaica each year.
- Provides direct employment in hotels, bars, shops.
- Also provides indirect employment e.g. souvenir makers, builders etc.
- Provides a much needed input of foreign currency.
- Attracts foreign investment in hotels and bars.
- Improves the infrastructure (roads, hospitals, ports etc).
- The tourists can pollute and damage the environment.
- People that work in the tourism trade benefit but people who don't can be worse off - decline in traditional employment.
- Building up the infrastructure can be very costly.
- Breaks down the traditional culture.
- Much of the profit goes overseas to MEDCs.
- Tourism tends to be limited to certain areas.
- Country can rely on tourism too much and fail to develop other industries.