Conflicts can occur:
- Most popular national park in the UK.
- Has lakes and mountains.
- Offers a large range of activities such a boating, walking, climbing and historic interest.
These activities cause conflicts:
- Popular walking areas suffer from erosion.
- Mountain bikes and horses spoil the landscape by churning up the grass into mud.
- Speed boats create noise pollution which annoys other boaters and tourists.
- Cars cause traffic jams at popular times and air pollution.
- There are not enough parking spaces for cars so they have to park in the road and on grass.
- Tourists park in front of farmer's gates - blocking the farmers' entrance.
- Tourists drop litter and pick wild flowers.
What can be done to solve it?
- Some roads completely closed and others can be closed except for local traffic.
- A park and ride scheme could be created.
- This makes it more pleasant for other tourists.
- BUT people in the tourist industry lose out as if you have a shop on a busy road, it will get more trade than a shop on a road which is closed to traffic.
- Speed restrictions on lakes.
- Limit public access to footpaths and fence off sensitive areas.